Campus & student experience
Discover the Aberdeen Family - a supportive student community made up of over 130 nationalities, so you can feel at home no matter where you’re from.
Join the Aberdeen Family
One of the benefits of studying at Aberdeen is being part of the Aberdeen Family. The Aberdeen Family is a welcoming and supportive network of staff and students from all over the world. Here, you will be able to embrace Scotland's unique heritage whilst also exploring the multicultural atmosphere of the city and University.
Societies are a great way to make new friends when you are a new student here and I have made many friends through those societies. It's a great social environment and a vibrant student body over here."
Israr from Pakistan
Studied LLB Law
Over 14,000 students at the University - creating a welcoming atmosphere where you'll make friends from all over the world
Sir Duncan Rice Library named one of the most beautiful in the world
(CEOWORLD Magazine 2016)
120+ clubs and societies, and 50+ sports clubs so you can keep growing and learning outside of the classroom
Scottish culture in an international atmosphere
With students from more than 130 nations represented on campus, the University of Aberdeen is a truly multicultural place to be a student. Scotland may be famous for its iconic heritage — but alongside the tartan, bagpipes and highland cows, you will benefit from international cuisine, music and friendships.
Aberdeen boasts impressive facilities both inside and outside of the classroom. No matter your choice of subject, you’re destined to benefit from some of the multimillion pound investments made into study and research at the University:
- Bloomberg Terminal - helping business students gain real-world experience in financial trading.
- Sir Duncan Rice Library - home to seven floors of books on everything from the arts and humanities to science, as well as a gallery, 1,200 study spaces, and a break room with panoramic views of the city. The building itself has won many architectural awards and is made from more than 22,000 tonnes of concrete and 760 glass panels.
- Home to one of the largest health campuses in Europe.
- Aberdeen Sports Village - Olympic-standard sports facilities open to International Study Centre students from day one.
- Science Teaching Hub, opened in early 2022, has been designed around the provision of specialist teaching, training and learning for students across a number of disciplines including chemistry, medical sciences, biological sciences and geosciences.
Find your passion
You can make the most of your student experience by joining clubs and societies, with the University of Aberdeen offering over 170 for you to choose from. University societies are a great way to enrich your university experience. You'll be able to make friends outside of your programme and accommodation, as well as explore your passions and interests with other likeminded people. Societies are fun – and joining a society or club can help to boost your CV outside of the classroom. As an Aberdeen student, you could choose between:
- Aberdeen Business Enterprise Society
- Aberdeen Dental Student's Society
- Aberdeen Student Parliament
- Archaeology Society
- Chess Society
- Dance Society
- Engineers Without Borders
- Gymnastics Club
- Knitting Society
- Law Society
- Model UN Society
- Table Tennis
- Scottish Dance Society
Campus life at the University of Aberdeen
The University is made up of two UK campuses. First you will find the iconic Old Aberdeen campus, home to both the International Study Centre and the impressive King's College Chapel, which was built in 1495. Old Aberdeen has extended over the years and now boasts newer buildings, such as the Sir Duncan Rice Library, but King’s College still has its ancient roots - teaching subjects such as Theology and History of Art.
Those studying Life Sciences and Medicine may find themselves at the Foresterhill campus - home to the facilities and staff you need to succeed. Here you will find:
- The Dental School
- Institute of Medical Sciences
- Rowett Institute for Nutrition
- The Aberdeen Biomedical Imaging Centre.
Innovation and sustainability
The University has always been at the forefront of innovation, boasting 5 Nobel Prize winners. This has continued into the present day, not only in terms of research, but with the attitude of the student community. The University takes a proactive approach to sustainability, with multiple initiatives to help the planet run by both the University and the students. The campus is even home to its very own zero waste cafe, Foodstory, established by a graduate of the University.
Old Aberdeen campus
Living in Aberdeen
Choose Aberdeen as your base whilst you live and learn in the UK. Aberdeen is proud of its traditional Scottish heritage, but also embraces the international atmosphere made possible by its diverse residents.
Discover our accommodation options at the International Study Centre and find out more about your home from home as you experience your new life in Aberdeen.